Posted by Ashley Mantrana, Walden Environmental Engineering, a Council of Industry Associate Member
There are many ways in which a fleet management system can benefit your operation. Better security and saving money usually come to mind first, but the right system can bring you other significant advantages as well.
How do you choose the right system?
In order to thoroughly research fleet fuel management systems, start by evaluating your current situation. The right system is one that will meet all of your needs. Use this checklist to contemplate what’s working well now and what is missing.
- Percentage of loss – are you having problems with theft, misallocation?
- Are you aware of your fuel inventory and where it is?
- Amount of “apparent loss” due to human error recording fueling or vehicle information.
- Availability of information regarding fuel purchasing, allocation, vehicle maintenance, etc. to make daily and long-term decisions.
- Is data complete?
- Consistently gathered and recorded?
- Is the information sufficient, or could you be more effective with more detailed data?
- Amount of time spent by drivers, crew members and office staff recording information on paper that could be automated.
- Amount of time spent by managers searching for information or files and creating reports.
- Early detection of repair needs.
- Consistent maintenance scheduling and performance.
- Vehicle mileage tracking.
- Fuel efficiency.
- Routing and scheduling efficiency.
- Fleet size.
- Number and location of fueling sites.
- Age and condition of current fueling equipment.
- Public or private.
Consulting with Walden will help you evaluate your situation and carefully explore your options. You will be able to find the fleet fuel management system that fully addresses all of your needs.