Find the Latest COVID-19 Updates and Recommendations: The CI Blog »
Coronavirus Resources: COVID-19 Resource Guide »

COVID 19 Update 39

Congress, Trump Administration Close to Deal on New SBA Aid Package

A deal could be announced as early as Sunday or Monday, according to congressional aides. On a conference call with President Donald Trump and Republican senators on Sunday afternoon, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told Republicans that the only portion of the package not agreed to focused on coronavirus testing, according to a person briefed on the call. McConnell and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin also said the money for state and local government funding, as well as food stamp aid requested by Democrats, would not be included in the deal.

Mnuchin told host Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday that there would be $300 billion for the Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program, $50 billion for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan, $75 billion for hospitals and $25 billion for testing.

Read More at Politico


Cuomo: New York Will Roll Out Antibody Testing in ‘Aggressive Way’ This Week

The antibody tests will give the state its “first true snapshot” of how many people in the state have been infected with Covid-19, Cuomo said. Melissa DeRosa, secretary to the governor, later tweeted that the state antibody testing will begin on Monday and will sample 3,000 people. 

A study by Stanford University on coronavirus antibodies suggest it has circulated much more widely than previously thought, according to a report released Friday. The preliminary study estimates that between 2.5% and 4.2% of Santa Clara County residents had antibodies to the new coronavirus in their blood by early April. 

Though the county had reported roughly 1,000 cases in early April, the Stanford researchers estimate the actual number was between 48,000 and 81,000.

Read More on New York Testing

Read More on the Stanford Study


Northeast Governors Announce Appointees to Multi-state Council to Get People Back to Work and Restore the Economy – Appointees Include One Health Expert, One Economic Development Expert and Respective Chiefs of Staff from Each State

The appointees from New York are:

Melissa DeRosa, Secretary to the Governor
Robert Mujica, Director of NYS Division of the Budget
Michael Dowling, President and CEO, Northwell Health

We are not sure who the “Economic Development Expert” is….

Read the Press Release


State Comptroller DiNapoli Launches COVID-19 Financial Survival Toolkit

To help ease the difficulties many are facing, the Comptroller has developed the COVID-19 Financial Survival Toolkit for New Yorkers with links and resources for residents, government entities, nonprofits and businesses. Whether you need the latest health updates, information on unemployment, sick leave or family sick leave benefits; or guidance on protecting your personal finances, you will find that and more in our toolkit. They will continue to make updates to meet New Yorkers’ changing needs, so check back regularly.

Visit the Toolkit


Manufacturer Alto-Shaam Offers Flexible Work Options During COVID-19 Pandemic

Menomonee Falls-based Alto-Shaam manufactures restaurant and kitchen equipment. Along with servicing essential businesses like grocery stores, convenience stores and health care industry food service. About 60% of the manufacturing workforce has been working where the other 40% are choosing not to. Those working are given flexibility in their shifts. Normally the company ran two shifts, but now employees can put in their 40 hours whenever they can Monday through Saturday.

The company also recently transitioned from an outside cleaning service to everything done in-house, allowing for heightened sanitation practices and better control over the facility. Employees also are wearing personal protective equipment of masks and gloves on the manufacturing floor.

Read More About Alto Sham In the Milwaukee Business Journal


Pandemic Reveals Character of Organizations

The coronavirus pandemic and the ensuing financial crisis is revealing the character of many organizations — and their leaders — and is affecting the cultural expectations of how companies should value their personnel. “Consumers and employees now expect greater things from those organisations that rely on them and pay and working conditions are just the start of it,” writes Lauren Coulman.

Read the Full Story at Forbes


 

Share